I spent time at Angelos Fresh Pasta last week and purchased amongst many delicious things, some Duck Egg Contadina. A pretty style of pasta with a slightly twisted s shape, this pasta is great for holding sauces in its sensuous curves. I asked Angelos ‘Pasta Princess’ Donna what sauce would go best with my pretty pasta and without hesitation she replied: “What do you have in the fridge?”.
Due to the torrential rain brought by Cyclone Marcia, I was unable to visit the markets so I confessed – not much. Zucchini, tomatoes, red onion, some bacon maybe… “Perfect” Donna retorted as she continued to share her recipe ideas with me.
In the end I had a jar of juicy, artichokes marinated in EVO plus fresh herbs from my garden. I was sorted, my Duck Egg Contadina Pasta w Fresh Tomatoes, Zucchini, Bacon and Artichokes was born.
I’ve made this on a few occasions now and mixed it up every time. I omitted the artichokes once and added green olives. I opted for squash instead of zucchini; the combinations are endless. Please use good quality EVOO and fresh ingredients and do yourself a favour and venture to Angelo’s for some true Italian pasta. The Duck Egg Contadina is sensational!!
Enjoy my foodie friends.
- 500g Angelo’s Contadina pasta
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO) plus extra to serve
- 200g free range bacon rashes, cut into thin strips
- 1 red onion, halved and sliced
- 500g cherry tomatoes, halved (mix of red and yellow if you can)
- 2-3 zucchinis, halved lengthways and sliced approximately 3mm thick
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- Pinch dried chilli flakes, optional
- 3 marinated artichokes in EVO, sliced
- Handful flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- Cracked pepper
- Cook pasta according to packet directions. Drain and return to pan immediately. Drizzle half the EVOO over pasta and cover, set aside.
- Cook bacon and onion with a little EVOO in large frying pan over medium-high heat for 5 minutes or until onion softens. Add tomatoes, zucchini, garlic, chili flakes and remaining EVOO, cook for a further 3-5 minutes or until the tomatoes and zucchini have broken down. Add artichokes (and some oil from the jar) stirring for a further minute. Add parsley and cracked pepper.
- Add the mixture to the pasta and toss to combine. Divide among serving dishes and top with shaved parmesan.
- Use good quality extra virgin olive oil and fresh pasta.